Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A fresh, new year

It's the second day of a brand new year; something about a new year that makes me inspired and motivated. I'm also happy to say farewell to 2007 and its challenges. We all deserve a fresh slate once in awhile! For me, this fresh slate comes after travelling to Charleston for the Charleston Christmas Show. It was my second year performing with this wonderful group of people - a cast of about 30 people, a 900 seat theater, 11 shows, and a full house or nearly full every night. Charleston is a really fantastic city and I enjoyed getting to know it and the people I work with better.
After the last show my husband and I flew to Belize to spend Christmas with family. On an island. Surrounded by wild tropical water filled with so many kinds of fish and coral and strange and mysterious wonders that never cease to amaze me. I recorded the sounds of pelicans diving in the water, big giant black bumble bees, the wind and birds and water.

Now back in the cozy Northwest, I am looking forward to a year of hard work and play. I'm excited to be diving into my studio and immersing myself in the "laboratory" of sound that I'm creating. I am going to devote a lot of time this year to composing, recording, and producing and get some new music out in the world. I will be cutting back on teaching and consolidating my teaching time, so that I have more energy to focus on my music.

I feel so grateful for the opportunity to embrace another year, to be an artist, and to know all the wonderful people I know; let's work towards making the world a better place, one day at a time. While we're here, let's do what we can for each other, and make beautiful music together! Other personal goals? Fewer negative thoughts, more positive ones. Less pessimism, more optimism. Less excuses, more accountability. Less cheese, more vegetables. More walks. More great adventures. Less gossip, more encouragement. Less complaining, more gratitude. More early mornings. More practise time. More kissing! More compliments, more positive feedback, more challenges. Less fear, less anxiety, less packaging. More water, more laughing, more parties. And may everyone have a full, nutritious, loving 2008!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Once upon a time, long ago, I walked into a house where I was invited for dinner. The lady of the house had only recently taken possession of that place and had spent the day cleaning it. We were young. She showed me what she had done. I was just out of the army where I'd learned all the Sergeant Major's tricks for finding dust. Dirt was no stranger to me as I'd just left the infantry but my joke fell flat. I've always wanted to apologize to her for that.